top of page
  • Staff Writers

Fire causes extensive damage at the Waterford Hospital


A fire has caused extensive damage at the Waterford Hospital in St. John's.


Emergency crews were called to the building around 5:30 pm this afternoon.


A patient started a fire in a garbage bin that quickly spread.


Several patients on the third floor have been displaced as a result.


Portions of the building sustained extensive water damage. Employees had trouble locating the water shut-off for the sprinkler system.


There were no reports of injuries.


Portions of the building have been open since 1854.



bottom of page