St. John’s Airport Celebrates 75 Years


The St. John’s International Airport Authority is celebrating 75.

The Airport was built during the second world war.

It was felt that a permanent airfield defence facility was needed and as a result discussions were carried out among Canada, Newfoundland and the United Kingdom during 1940. In late 1940 the Canadian Government agreed to construct an air base near St. John's.

It was used by the RCAF, RAF and United Stated Army Air Corps until December 1946.

On April 1, 1946, the airport became a civilian operation under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Department of Transport.

Visit yyt75.com for more.


CONNECT WITH US

Email: info@newfoundnews.ca

Call: (709) 638-2656

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • YouTube

 Newfoundland and Labrador owned and operated. Newfound News Corner Brook, NL, Canada.

© 2020 Newfound News