Atlantic Hurricane Season officially kicks off today
The Atlantic Hurricane Season officially kicks off today and it is expected to be a busy season.
NOAA is predicting an above-normal 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season.
The agency says there is a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.
NOAA predicts 14 to 21 named storms this year, of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes, including 3 to 6 major hurricanes.
NOAA says an ongoing La Niña and above-average Atlantic temperatures will set the stage for a busy season.
There is already an area of concern in the Gulf of Mexico. The remnants of Hurricane Agatha from the eastern Pacific is crossing Mexico and could regenerate into a tropical storm.
Hurricane season runs from June 2 to November 30. The first named storm will be Alex.